Sunday, January 14, 2007

Let all the whole world praise the Lord

Its raining so not very many people came to church. Must confess that I didn't much feel like going either. Very gray and dreary day. Walking through the parish hall I heard my child yell, 'Its my turn to be dead!'
Paused to watch the drama unfold. The children were taking turns burying each other under pillows and blankets. Apparently not everyone had had a turn.

Later got into a fight about public education. "I'm not sending my four year old into a den of godless secular humanism," I said.
"Well, she's got to be in the world sometime."
"Not when she's four" I said. "And besides, its worked so well up till now. Look how righteous and Christian and believing this culture is. Its working so well."
"Well, they still say the pledge of allegiance."
"Oh, all right then. I must have misunderstood." Then I felt bad. "Sorry," I said.
"That's ok."
"Good" I said, "because you've been hiding the candle snuffers and its been driving everyone crazy."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To be honest, I didn't much want to come either. Terrible time just getting out of bed . . .

On the plus side, I have two interested parties on the furniture front! We'll have to set a date to storm your place and have a look at what's available. We'll (hopefully) clean you out in no time, and the scroll saw will have a home of its own.

Maybe I should start a private school. D'ya think that would help? The allure of being headmistress and all that. Wicked school uniforms. Zany school motto . . . Hmmmm.

~R

Anne said...

really, you want to start a school? because I was wanting to but, you know, I really don't have time. I think you can buy a start up manual for 40 dollars and it tells you everything you need to know. Of course, you'd have to be willing to teach almost everything as well-for free-since everyone would be so poor.