Monday, July 09, 2007

Sunday Conversations
Matt: So what did you learn in Sunday school?
Aedan: We learned that the man had a stick and he hit the people with the stick, like this (demonstrates).
Matt: Stick? What stick was that?
Aedan: The man, he had a stick.
Emma: Pharaoh.
Aedan: Yeah. (Waves his hand) Let my people go.
Matt: Oh, so Pharaoh had a stick, and he hit the people?
Emma: Yeah, and then Jesus came and made frogs and locusts and a river of blood.
Anne: Jesus did that?
Emma: Yeah, it was Jesus. And the red river divided.
Matt: River or Sea?
Emma: River.
Aedan: Yeah, hit it with a stick, like this.
Anne: Was there anybody named Moses?
Emma: Moses?
Aedan: Yeah, and you shouldn’t kill the cow.
Matt: What cow?
Aedan: The cow, the cow.
Matt: Was there a mountain?
Emma: Yeah, a big mountain.
Matt: Was it called Mount Sinai.
Aedan: No (sarcastically) that’s silly. It was a big mountain.
Emma and Aedan drift off to do other things. Matt and Anne resolve to read the Exodus with them as a bed time story. I suppose, as I read this, that the cow must have been the golden calf. I’m still somewhat confused.

2 comments:

laura said...

Hi Anne- this is the first time to your blog, unfortunately through all of the talk on Stand Firm. Although had none of it happened, I would have never found you, so there is something to be grateful for. I am also a homeschooling mother of four. We seem to hold the same views on many things, and I look forward to visiting often. This post struck a chord in me, because we have had so many similarly bizarre discussions with our children. But at the same time that I am worrying that they are not getting "it", I also think that God laughs out loud as we do as they retell the stories. They are percious and so sincere and have such absolute trust and faith- regardless of whether all the facts in the story are correct.

I have 2 funny stories to share...one when my daughter (now almost 11) was 3 and was coloring in church one of the pictures in the children's bulletin. She asked who that boy with the sling shot was and I replied "David". She looked at me like I was crazy and said "Noooo, Mommy! David was a cucumber!" (apparently too much VeggiTales.)
The other one I want to share is our youngest, who is 4, was listening to my ipod while we were waiting for one of his siblings. His favorite song came on and he began to sing at the top of his lungs..."Holy Cow- riding on the clouds" and "there is noone like Coca Cola" The orginal words are "Behold he comes, riding on the clouds..." and then "there is no God like Jehovah". My oldest son, 13, was laughing, but I told him that God loves the pure hearted worship of a 4 year old singing his heart out for Him- regardless of him getting all the words right.
Blessing to you and your family. Thanks for helping me remember my fun family memories. :o)
Laura Gent

Anonymous said...

I love all of your blog, but these conversations with your children are my favorites.