Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lent.....

Having been pregnant for the last few lents and counted that alone as a discipline and trial enough, I thought I'd take this year as an opportunity to do three things

1. Give up sugar, because I'm starting to eat it all the time, something I never generally do, and I think its because I'm stressed, and so I'm going to stop it.
2. Give up swearing. Many of you perhaps don't know this small secret indulgence of mine. I think this is going to be the hardest.
and
3. Say Compline every evening that I reasonably can.

On that note, I'm going to go do that now, instead of anything else.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad Lent is here, miss you all!

I'm attempting to pray every morning after breakfast but before anything else. I really miss going to Morning Prayer- it was nice to have structure & discussion. ;)

Btw- online sermons etc. have been very helpful: I'm about ready to tell one of my online friends to just move to your location, as every time our discussion ends up with me saying 'Funny, but I just read something about that-' Lent was the most recent discussion, which brought it to mind. :)

~R

Kellie said...

I read about a lady who tried to help herself give up swearing by assigning each curse word a number, and then, when she just couldn't deal, calling out the numbers. She said that she felt like a quarterback, but it helped. :-p

Anonymous said...

Have E remind you every time you swear and make you pay into a bank for the kiddos. It will also help the kiddos realize that swearing isnt good.
Art+

Anonymous said...

For years I swore a lot. Real curses--not obscenities. Stopping was one of the hardest things I ever did. Then, just last week, I swore again, two or three times. Strange. But a BIG reminder that I can do nothing without God's help. A great reminder for beginning Lent.

At A Hen's Pace said...

Ann--

Good goals!!

I always counted pregnancy as a Lenten discipline as well. :)

So glad you got your cat back! Thank you, Lord!

~Jeanne