Sunday, September 06, 2009

For a Sunday Evening

This is very strange.
Even though its not Lent, I've been hankering all day to hear this hymn by John Donne.
WILT Thou forgive that sin where I begun,
Which was my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin through which I run,
And do run still, though still I do deplore?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done;
For I have more.

Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I have won
Others to sin, and made my sins their door?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shun
A year or two, but wallow'd in a score?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done;
For I have more.

I have a sin of fear, that when I've spun
My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
But swear by Thyself that at my death Thy Son
Shall shine as He shines now and heretofore:
And having done that, Thou hast done;
I fear no more.

The tune I know can be found here, clunked out wildly on some organ or other. Not satisfied, I went to youtube and clicked on this.

Besides the beautiful voice, some of you will probably notice the church, which appears to be, unless I am loosing my mind, the Old Good Shepherd. In Fact, I'm pretty sure Micah took this picture as we were on our way out the door. That someone, unknown to me, would have found this picture and put this hymn to it is surely an act of divine providence if ever there was one.

4 comments:

punctuation without capitalization said...

wow! that totally is the picture!!!

totally bizarre. who posted this video??

and we sang this in choir too.

Joyce Carlson said...

It IS the picture of the Old Good Shepherd, and what I find interesting is that, for Lent, I copied Micah's picture into a word document and added Donne's poem under it, and printed it and carry it around in my Bible, seeing both the poem and the picture every day. Is there some sort of angelic conspiracy going on to bring us daily to repentance all on the same page?
ME

R said...

That is so odd. & yes, definitely the old GS.

~R

Anonymous said...

Dear Ann, thank you so much for posting the video with the words of John Donne. It lifted my day.

Yours in Christ,
Connie