Monday, January 23, 2012

worn and weary

Should I be thankful for the insanity of this current election cycle or start crying out to God for relief from all the suffering? Its kind of a toss-up this morning.

I love politics so much. The debates are so dramatic, interesting and suspenseful. Its like a great and ridiculous novel unfolding morning by morning--poll numbers flinging themselves up and down, pundits screaming wildly into the radio and tv, twitter feeds twinkling across my phone and computer, candidates grinning grudgingly and foolishly as they try to move the country to like them just a little bit. Why wouldn't I enjoy and be thankful for every moment of this ghastly display?

On the other hand, enough already. There's a debate tonight, the State of the Union tomorrow, a debate Thursday, bla bla bla. I don't generally watch tv during the week. I watch football on the weekend as an act of love for my husband who seems to like it (although, strangely, he gets so angry, shouting at various players and throwing things when it looks like the giants are going to win. Do you know, Every Single Team he has rooted for this season has Lost? Remarkable) and on Friday evenings we try together to watch something we can agree upon. The pool of agreeable films and programs, however, seems to diminish every week. And that's it. Not a constant stream of politics on the tv and radio Every Single Night.

But if I don't keep up, I will miss something, won't I? And how awful that would be.

2 comments:

Sarah Boyle Webber said...

You are so funny! I can't stand most of the shouting and endless talking points so I just look at the weekly headlines and listen to an occasional wrap-up on one of my local NPR shows. I figure that my vote won't count until November so I only start paying attention right before then. I am, however, from California. Maybe growing up in that crazy place burned all those democratic desires out of me at an early age.

Anonymous said...

I'll let you know which team i want to win so you can have Matt cheer for other one, lol
art