Monday, March 18, 2013

oh look, it's snowing again

The dog is asleep on his back with his feet in the air and his teeth all out there. Also, he is on my lap. There is one baby upstairs asleep but the other one is jammed up against me snoring. Alouicious and Elphine are 'trying to earn back their allowance' by cleaning the kitchen, but really they are goofing off and talking. Romulus and Gladys are 'cleaning the sunroom'. All around me are piles of laundry I imagined I would do, along with shoes and bottles and bits of paper and toys and crayons and a lot of other...stuff is too nice a word. Matt is watching some thing about Scientology.And, of course, there is a heavy volume of snow falling out of the sky. Because what a fading upstate town exhausted by sickness and cold weather needs is more snow, and ice. I'm sorry that this blog has degenerated into one big long complaint about the weather. I'm generally a satisfied, happy, contentish type of person. Well, maybe happy is too strong. Not unhappy. But the long stupid snowy winter is proving too much for me today. We're all on our eleventh cold amongst other irritating ailments. Amd the walls are too close, the bickering too continuous, the pile of cleaning and laundry too tall. If only the snow would stick to the brick wall of the church. Otherwise, for real, I'm going to get out there and paint an Italian villa on it.



















3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's the same here. I left Atlanta to come up here, let's just call it Hooterville,to the mountains of western Pennsylvania.
I have seen the sun once in a week. To use my phone I have to do more than climb the telephone pole, I have to drive 4 miles to the BP station. But I feel blessed after reading your post because I don't have 6 children with colds here. I have only my brother's very dense and gassy Rottweiler who keeps forgetting I'm here. Shebares her teeth and snarls at me when I come down the stairs. Oh and there is also my brother but he seems to be always out. Well I didn't pack my warmest clothes because, you know, it's mid March.
Funny you should mention painting an Italian villa on the wall. I was thinking of making a diorama in a shoe box. Sun, green grass,flowers.

Kat said...

This will be me next winter- after 12 winters in N California, we're imminently moving to Milwaukee. Except I grew up in NE Ohio, and 28 winters there prepared me for the realities of what I'm facing- only with less snow. My husband, however, grew up in Atlanta, and thinks 2 inches of snow is a lot. He commented on it when he flew in to be interviewed, and that it was so much snow that it was piled on the sides of the road! LOL I had to break it to him that these things happen there even for small amounts of snow, over time.

lissla lissar said...

I'm in Toronto, and in spite of being all Canadian we generally have pretty mild winters. It was snowing all expletive-deleted day here, my husband has been sick with a miserable cold for two weeks, all the kids have been sick over and over...

I am beginning to disbelieve in spring. Usually it's at least above freezing by this time!