Wednesday, May 15, 2013

one thing and another

I haven't been able to read the Gosnell stuff much because of needing to sleep through the night and function during the day. I've lightly and carefully skimmed various news sources so as to know sort of what's going on, and prayed for God's mercy to fill in the rest. It all came sort of to a head for me last Thursday, though, when I finished reading a little book with Romulus about the D Day landings in Normandy. He's very interested in the question of battles and warfare and to get him to read at all, I've been forced to turn to warfare for subject matter. But of course, none of them, who were all listening in, really knew what the war was about or who, as it happens, Hitler was or what he did. Which led necessarily to a discussion of ethnic genocide and then to racism and finally to abortion. We all went to church for the evening bleary eyed and sad. 

Because, I'll just go ahead and say it out loud, death is A Bad Thing. 
Whether death happens to a very old person or a young soldier or an ambassador or a child or a baby, born or unborn, it's bad. It's not, as some Senator recently and stupidly opined, 'a part of life'.  It's the opposite of life (I can't believe I'm bothering to write this down, but clearly, it needs writing because of all the confusion), the antithesis of life. It is The Wrong Thing. 

And we can see how very wrong it is in the surprising desire of Gosnell not to want to die himself. If its no big deal, or even a 'part' of life then shouldn't he be fine with the death penalty? And yet his lawyers have worked hard to get him life in prison. Well, as a Christian, I think that's fine. Mercy is always a reasonable option and I appreciate having more time to pray for his soul and ultimate, hopefully, salvation. However, let the fact of his desire to live put to rest the idea that other people dying is ok and better for them.

And now I'm going to go bake a pie or something, because all the stupidity and lying is too much to bear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's because I don't have small children and maybe this isn't the same thing but I'm finding myself saying, "Come, Lord Jesus" a lot lately. (No worries -- I'm not suicidal or depressed.) The world is a mess. Our country is in a particular mess.

What does it say when living can actually be viewed as worse than dying?

Anonymous said...

When watching a nature show together when my son was about 4 years old, a fish ate a just-hatched mosquito. My son burst into tears. When asked why he was crying, he said that no one should die when they'd just been born, not even a mosquito.

He is now 32 and opposes abortion.