Wednesday, February 05, 2014

{phfr}:grumbling about the snow edition

{pretty}
It is objectively pretty.
It is. I awknowledge that it is objectively beautiful. However, I am a sinner and so I am unmoved by the beauty. I don't like it. Really just don't like it.

{happy}
By happy I guess I really mean angry (me), whiney and cold (the children), and sick (Matt). I didn't start out angry but by the time everyone was dressed and outside I was cursing the day I was born. Then they only stayed outside for five. read FIVE. minutes before trying to come back in. And then the school room was basically a lake of water from all the melted snow. And they came in demanding, cold and whining for hot chocolate, like it's their birth rite. Nothing makes me want to make hot chocolate less than being shouted at by a pack of children.
Oh well, maybe they'll remember it more fondly than it was.

{funny}
I just had the following conversation with Marigold who is four but who is difficult to understand and only just started talking but who lept right in to language with rather large concepts. This is, frankly, an ordinary conversation with her.

"That's Gladys' ring. That's her ring to get married. She always gets married with that ring," she said.
"Who is she going to marry?" I asked.
"I think Mary is on her way."
"Really?"
"Yeah. Jesus is on the cross and he doesn't know about Mary," she said.
Then she mumbled something about her father.
"What about daddy?" I asked.
"I think daddy will get married in time but he's working on your blog again."

{real}
All year we've been learning a hymn called "Forgive us Lord, as we forgive" (Hymn 674 in the 1982 Episcopal Hymnal by Rosamond E. Herklots, Detroit) along with Matthew 18:21-35 which is the parable of the wicked servant who won't forgive his fellow servant a dept of 100 denarii after he had been forgiven his dept of 10000 talents. There isn't a good rendition of the hymn on YouTube that I can find but the tune is lovely and articulates the substance of the Matthew text really perfectly.
So I copied it out while waiting for Elphine and Alouicious to remember how to spell 'orator' which I guess is more complicated than you would expect, even after being previously apprised of it's actually spelling. And then I took this bad picture. So there you are, I did do something today.
Here are the words of the hymn:
Forgive our sins as we forgive
You taught us Lord to pray;
But you alone can grant us grace
To live the words we pray.
 
How can your pardon reach and bless
The unforgiving heart
That broods on wrongs
And will not let old bitterness depart.
 
In blazing light your cross reveals
The truth we dimly knew,
How small the debts men owe to us
How great our debt to you.
 
Lord, cleanse the depths within our souls,
And bid resentment cease;
Then, reconciled to God and man,
Our lives will spread your peace.

4 comments:

Charlie Sutton said...

Do your kids read your blog?

Anne said...

Heh, heh, heh. Yes sometimes. I'm probably going to need to move away and change my identity though, after a while, if I keep this up.

Sarah Boyle Webber said...

I hate to think of the day my daughter starts reading my blog. I have tried to stop complaining about her so much.

I'm so done with the snow and I know we've only had half of yours.

Leila said...

I think your children will understand :) It's a grumbly yet loving post. Thanks for joining!